Monday, August 6, 2007

Way of Life

I have discovered the secret of life. For me, anyway.

I've been wondering for a while: What is it about going on vacation that is so great, that makes that time so much better than others? Why were certain semesters in college so magical just to be alive, and what do they have in common with the dreamlike goodness that was the summer of 2001 (before September)? I had a really crappy job that summer. But why did I enjoy life more then than I do now, when I've been working so hard for years to structure my life so that I'm surrounded by things I love?

Somehow, I've always missed the point. And I've never quite figured out what it is that I love (aside from my Evil Prince). The question I should have been asking, should always have been asking, is: What do I have to do _today_ that makes _today_ worthwhile, worthy of my time & and enjoyable? What am I doing today that is immediately fulfilling so that my day doesn't feel like a waste of time?

I've just started asking myself this question over the last few days, and have a lot to learn about myself yet before I can fully implement any changes. My preliminary findings suggest that my needs are less than mundane - I crave adventure, both in the physical and intellectual worlds. If I'm not seeking and learning, I'm Not having fun. If I'm not sweating my brain & my body on something intereting, then I was just here, taking up space.

Hmmm hmm... Thinking....

Written on the go, sent via WiFi

No comments: