Sunday, January 31, 2010

Surprise: Apple-sauce Muffins Better than Original SCD Recipe


In my journey to be completely-sugar-free, I have to tweek lots of recipes. Anyone who's gluten-free or has any other food intolerance becomes quite accustomed to regularly swapping out ingredients. We try it cautiously at first, experimenting to see if our make-do solution is tasty enough to keep. Then we scribble it next to the recipe with (more often than not) a stylus between our wet or sticky fingers, lest we forget before the next batch is made.

I love my SCD nut muffins. I like them best made with yogurt, but for convenience's sake have often cooked 'em up with butter, producing a denser, grainier cake. Mine are especially heavy since I grind the nuts myself in the food processor rather than buy expensive flour. Since I can no longer add honey to sweeten the batter, yesterday I tried substituting both yogurt/dairy and honey with homemade apple sauce. The result: an almond muffin that's moister with just enough sweet to enjoy them but not so much as to crave them. As a recovering sugar-addict, that equals perfection!

Apple-Sauce is Ridiculously Easy. Three ingredients:
  • Water (just a little!)
  • apples
  • Cinnamon
(I leave out the cinnamon for baby food.) Leave it on the stove to simmer for a while, the longer the better. Many sauce recipes call for adding sugar -- but as the apples cook, they carmelize just a tad and the finished product is plenty sweet without it!

Yes, I plan to start subbing apple sauce in plenty of recipes... experimenting, one at a time, and writing it down whenever I get it just right. =)


Note: Find the original recipe in the foundational SCD book Breaking the Vicious Cycle

No comments: