Monday, February 8, 2010

Day 15 Sugar-Free: A Winter Confessional

What a week! This past week - my second sugar-free - was a rough one, full of crazy harsh cravings and much stuffing of self with (whole) food. Staying sugar-free is extra hard when one is surrounded by events typically celebrated by sharing sugary snacks with family; In my case, the Super Bowl and the DC SNOMaGeddon of 2010!

Like so many people on similar journies, I definitely strayed off course this week. However, I am cheating with integrity! Every time I am tempted to eat sugar, I take a moment to consider the act with my eyes wide open. What are the benefits I'll receive from eating a bit of sweet? What are the consequences? More often than not I quickly turn that need for sweet to sour as I realize that the momentary lift is insignificant compared to the inevitable sickening of the stomach to follow.

However, a few choice times, taking that step backward has been worth it:
  • Wednesday night, when NOTHING would cease the cravings, I caved by adding about a teaspoon of creme de menthe to a mug of coffee with milk. That little bit was enough to satisfy my sweet tooth so I could go to bed without feeling deprived or starved.
    My transgressions proved a bit greater during the Super Bowl, as I mostly-enjoyed:
  • A diet soda
  • Some tortilla chips (processed corn)
  • A mug-sized mocha with a dash of creme de menthe
  • A ramkin half-filled with slivered almonds, coconut flakes, raisins and Hershey's syrup Haha!!
Yes, that was too much sugar during the 4th quarter, but I recognize that and will remember it. It wasn't so much as to ruin my Monday. And it was definitely worth it, as the evening was a culmination of several common food-celebrations for me. In addition to the Super Bowl, I was Exhausted from working hard and usually reward myself after days like that, plus we have massive snow and noone's going to work today (always a reason to stay up late and celebrate!)
    I'm planning one more sugar-transgression for later today:
  • SNOW CREAM!!!!
With well over 2 feet of snow still on the ground, I've got to take advantage of the white stuff by combining with more white stuff -- sugar and milk -- and eating it! We so rarely have enough snow to make ice cream out of it. Dang it, I ain't missing this!

No comments: