Sunday, October 2, 2011

Grains, Legumes, and Seeds, Oh My! Plus a Fall Muffin Recipe

My toddler's got a very sensitive system. Given that she was birthed from me, really, I'm not surprised.

She and I are both now gluten-free and dairy-free, and while she drinks soy milk I also make sure to substitute some of her "dairy" with coconut and almond milk products. Rice... well, we eat so much rice in its whole-grain form, I try to limit processed rice products as much as possible, aside from a cookie here and there.

Because of her gentle system, we have to eat a LOT more whole grains. Oatmeal everyday just doesn't do the trick for her as it does for me. So I've been soaking, and soaking, and cooking, and cooking a LOT!

We regularly consume:
Chickpeas:
  • Chana masala -- $1 for a box of seasoning that lasts FOREVER, plus dried chickpeas = good eats on the super cheap!
  • Falafal -- I just need to get it to stay together a bit better. But how easy is falafel -- soaked properly, you don't have to cook the legumes at all! Just chuck everything in the food processer, make little patties and fry 'em up. Easy and DELISH!
 Brown Rice:
  • What doesn't go with brown rice? Here's my favorite rice recipe: Put a little butter/oil in a your favorite rice-cookin' pot. Crack open 3-4 cardamom pods and toss the seeds in. Add 2 cups of WHOLE GRAIN BROWN rice (basmati, long grain - who cares? It's all yummy!). Stir it up for a few seconds, then add 1 can of whole coconut milk (Best brand I've found: Thai Kitchen. So much great cream on top! That's the good stuff!) Add water or broth to equal 4 cups total liquid. (Usually I just put in another can full of liquid plus a little bit. Then the can is ready to go into recycling. =) Bring to a boil, stir, cover, and simmer for about 30-40 minutes. Tip: Eat this for breakfast with some maple syrup. No joke - so good!


Almonds:

  • FALL MUFFIN RECIPE. Chuck 1.5 cups of pecans and 1 cup of blanched slivered almonds in the food processor. Process until you get a moist, fine consistency - but not so much that you make butter. Add: 1/4 cup pumpkin (organic from a can works for us), Almost-1/2-cup honey, 3 eggs, 1/4 tsp baking soda, and 1/8 tsp salt. Chuck in some organic cocoa powder. Crank the machine up and let it go until you get a consistent batter. Fill muffin liners/cups 4/5ths full, and bake at 375 F for 15-20 minutes (until you can push in lightly on the top of one, and it springs back up.)  "Dat's Nommy!" exclaims my daughter ;)


I make these muffins, or variations on them, 1 - 2 times a week to keep my family in supply. They are GREAT with a cup of morning coffee, or as an afternoon must-eat-before-dinner snack.

I've recently cooked up mung beans too, but haven't found a stellar recipe for them yet. I'll share it when I do!

No comments: