Thursday, July 14, 2011

So Afraid of the Sun

So very much has happened in the last few days, that in the few minutes of time I have right now, I wouldn't know where to begin.

With the amazing support of my amazing life partner, with whom I chose to be with everyday, I have taken some big steps in my journey. Explanations will have to come later. I'm still processing, and it will be a book to write it all down.

I understand now why these are my favorite words of great literature. For the past 30 years, I've played my part well - too well! Hid myself from myself! And warped it, and turned it inside out, so noone would dare believe these words could apply to me. But twist them and they do. Now... it's time to make some big changes in my internal landscape.

Henry IV Part I Act I Scene 2:

Henry V. I know you all, and will awhile uphold
The unyoked humour of your idleness:
Yet herein will I imitate the sun, 300
Who doth permit the base contagious clouds
To smother up his beauty from the world,
That, when he please again to be himself,
Being wanted, he may be more wonder'd at,
By breaking through the foul and ugly mists 305
Of vapours that did seem to strangle him.
If all the year were playing holidays,
To sport would be as tedious as to work;
But when they seldom come, they wish'd for come,
And nothing pleaseth but rare accidents. 310
So, when this loose behavior I throw off
And pay the debt I never promised,
By how much better than my word I am,
By so much shall I falsify men's hopes;
And like bright metal on a sullen ground, 315
My reformation, glittering o'er my fault,
Shall show more goodly and attract more eyes
Than that which hath no foil to set it off.
I'll so offend, to make offence a skill;
Redeeming time when men think least I will.

2 comments:

abetterjulie said...

I am happy that you are insightful and willing to do the hard work to heal your soul from the trauma you endured. I have a similar story, and I have found that you never stop healing from it. That doesn't mean you should stop trying, it just means that it will be a lifelong journey of recovery. Having a friend or partner to talk with and trust is crucial, and I am so grateful that you have someone in your life for that role. Peace to you, friend.

C said...

Thanks Julie! It's true - we never stop healing, we never stop working or seeking - that's the nature of humanity. I'm at a place where I can see the story I wrote so many years ago, and I can chose to keep it going or to start a new one. We all do that multiple times in our lives too - but for me, this is one of the most major of those times. =D

Hugs!!!!!